Workshops we Organize
“One sense at a time” Workshops
- We are organizing “One sense at a time” workshops for children and their caregivers at the Ashish Centre, Dwarka, New Delhi. (Facebook page – Ashish Foundation for the differently Abled) every Friday 1:00 to 3:00 pm.
- On July 29, 2011, Aparna Panshikar conducted a long-distance singing workshop via Skype.
- On August 5, we organized a Dance Workshop.
- On August 12, we worked with cameras.
- On 26 August we experimented with Kathak dance and photography.
- Later in the series we organized a Gardening workshop.
- On 09 September Contemporary Dance workshop is being organized with the acclaimed Contemporary Dancer, Choreographer, Actor and Trainer Shilpika Bordoloi.
- On16 September 2011 Manasi Dash organized clay modelling workshop for children.
- 24th September 2011 we scheduled a singing workshop with Jayati Ghosh. We picked Rail Gadi from Aashirwaad, because it lends itself well to improvisation, and uses lots of sound effects.
- On 30th September 2011, we organized a workshop with sounds, where we played sounds of animals and ask children to imagine the animal and communicate characteristics of these animals. The workshop was organized by Manasi Dash.
- On 21st October 2011, we organized a workshop on String Figures. About 10 children and 5 teachers participated in the workshop. The workshop was conducted by Sudhir Joshi.
On 18 September 2011 the Delhi Drummers and the students and parents and friends got together to have a “Drumming workshop” for the “We Can” weekend club in Gurgaon, Haryana. The event was in association with Shaloo Sharma, Pallavanjali, and “We Can” weekend club.
On 20 August 2011, we organized a music workshop with Aparna Panshikar at AADI There were about 10 children, their caregivers, teachers… everyone sang, and all the kids tried to sing, repeatedly. Even when only a whisper came out, it was obvious how keen the kids were to sing. With Aadi, we are planning a monthly gathering of a music club: people can sing, play instruments, improvise lyrics.
- We organized a half-day Sensitization Workshop for Teachers on how to use ICTs for children with mental challenges at the J.D. Tytler Learning Centre, Karol Bagh on 15th of November.
- We organized ICT Workshop for children and caregivers at Action for Autism on 9 June 2011. In this workshop we helped children use skid software to communicate with the caregiver. Plans are underway to take forward skid by incorporating specific needs of children.
- We organized a 1-day Workshop on “ICTs and mental challenges” in a parallel session on 19 May 2011, during the 3-day Global Autism Convention, in Bangalore. The programme is being organized by the Rotary district 3190, in collaboration with the Spastic Society of Karnataka, The Department of Psychiatry, St. Jhon’s Medical College and Hospital, Information and Resource Center, Shrishti Special Academy, Asha and Autism Society of India.
- We trained children, their caregivers and computer software students in a “3-day workshop on computer technologies for children with mental challenges”from 27 to 29 May 2009, which was organized in Trivandrum Kerala, supported by the IT Mission of the State Government of Kerala in collaboration with Society for promotion of Alternative Computing and Employment (SPACE). In this workshop over 20 children with autism and their caregivers participated.
- While skid was demonstrated to children with autism and their caregivers, a separate workshop was organized specially for computer students wishing to add modules to skid. In the process, a module to predict the next word the user may wish to type was created, see http://skid.org.in/nextword.
- On 4th September 2008, we organized a 1 day workshop on “Interface Development for Disabled Using Ruby on Rails”, in association with Insight project, Kerala State IT Mission and Society for Promotion on Alternate Computing and Employment (SPACE).
- On 20 May 2009, we organized one class on “The growing role of ICTs for those with disabilities” on second life. On August 10, 2008 we organized 2 classes on “software for special kids” for 5 students on second life.
- In 2008 from June 9 to 14, we organized a “7 day workshop for children with mental challenges and their caregivers”, to explore use of computers with them. The workshop was organized by Inspiration special school. The workshop was sponsored by the IT Dept. Uttaranchal Govt. and supported by the Social Welfare Dept. of the Government of Uttaranchal.
- From 2 to 27th May 2006, we organized a 7-day workshop for “children with mental challenges and their caregivers” at the Information Technology Development Agency, Vasant Vihar, Dehradoon. This workshop aimed at introducing ICTs to children on autism spectrum disorder, and to understand their responses. Outcome from this workshop went into improving skid software for special kids. The workshop was organized in collaboration with Inspiration, Anil Karanjai Memorial Trust. The workshop was sponsored by the IT Department Uttaranchal Government and supported by the Social Welfare Department.
- Later in the series same year fron 26 to 30 May 2007, we organized a 5 day workshop “Computer Training Workshop for children and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)” in Bangalore. This workshop was organized in collaboration with the Spastic Society of Karnataka. It was organised jointly by the Autism Society of India (Dr Veronica Mathias), the Spastics Society of Karnataka (Dr Nalini Menon), and Radiophony, with sponsorship and volunteer help from IBM. More information at http://www.indiatogether.org/2007/jun/hlt-techtools.htm